Sunday, May 22, 2016

Week 6 Building Base Knowledge (Genres)

Week 6  Assignment 1      I choose Mystery Readers International to explore and learn about.  I love mysteries, but don't often choose them when I think of what to read next, and I thought this sight might give me some good ideas.
Mystery Readers International is an organization with a worldwide fan base. It's web page features the Mystery Readers Journal, which is a quarterly newsletter with articles, reviews and author interviews. The current journal featured mystery stories about New York City.


 It also has a Mystery Fanfare Blog where contributers write about book related ideas and stories.  I found an article there about "Book Smelling" and why people smell books.  It caught my eye, because I have been a book sniffer ever since I can remember!  The smell reminds me of my hometown library and the many hours I spent there in pure happiness!  The article traces the smell in the following paragraph.

"The appeal of old books’ smell has been studied in depth. Wood-based paper contains lignin, a chemical closely related to vanillin, the compound that gives vanilla its fragrance. As the pages age and the compounds break down, they release that signature scent. An experienced rare book handler can date a volume by scent alone, according to the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers.

Furthermore, scent is strongly tied to memory. Just as the scent of sunscreen or fresh-cut grass can suddenly evoke memories of childhood summers, for the bookish among us the scent of old manuscripts recalls pleasures like reading an old classic, or scouring a library or used bookstore."

Also, part of the Mystery Fanfare Blog had some other interesting tidbits:
Cartoon of the Day(see below), CrimeFest Award Winners 2016, CWA Dagger Award Longlists, Noir City-Austin.

I also enjoyed reading their Twitter feed and a feature "Dying for Chocolate." that included some tasty recipes.

There is something for everyone on this sight.





It is always best to include something to make us laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment