Friday, May 27, 2016

Week 6 Assignment 3 Building a Base Knowledge - Subgenres









The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah  seems to be one of the standard bearers and I would like to read it to get a better sense of this genre.  Others on the list were Flyy Girl by Omar Tyree, True to the Game by Teri Woods and The Cartel by Ashley Antoinette.  The appeal factors seem to be  storylines within an urban setting that are edgy and confrontational.


I have never read much Horror(my imagination is vivid enough!) but I choose this area to get a better idea of what is offered. Again I went to EarlyWord to see what they had on their lists and  choose new and classic offerings.  First off, Shirley Jackson"s We Have Always Lived in the Castle"-the book cover drew me in and the title as well.  Miss Peregrine"s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs had several appeal factors. The book cover alone-a black/white picture, looks to be back in the early part of the century of a young girl in a dress, levitating and staring right at you-is a curious sight,  but also, throughout the book are other B/W photos of unusual children.  I think using not just word but pictures is very effective. If you really love horror in it's finest where it goes to work in your imagination, a must read is Edgar Allan Poe(Also if you are from Baltimore, well....I don't need to say more!) and The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Tales should be on everyone's list.   I also choose another older book, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind.  This book came out in the late 80's when I was working at an independent bookstore and it was very popular so I want to revisit and put it on my reading list.


Please excuse the last,(very small)! paragraph.....I had some trouble getting the font to change.  







No comments:

Post a Comment