Monday, May 16, 2016

Week 5  Assignment 1

Checking in with EarlyWord!

One of the many pleasures of looking forward to the coming warm days are the lists of books to read in the summer and I found  several interesting ones on EarlyWord.

Welcome to Our Senses by Odie Lindsay
I am always on the lookout for short story collections by authors I am not familiar with and this book by Odie Lindsay caught my eye.  One of the quotes said it is "compulsively readable," so my attention was held.
It appears some of the collected stories "explore the lives of veterans returning to their home in the South." I seem drawn to stories of the south-must be a Midwestern thing! Does anybody out there in blogland know of this author?


Miss Jane by Brad Watson 
The brief description reveals a "moving and contemplative novel about a woman with a birth defect finding her own way in the rural south before and after the Great Depression.  "Calmly, quietly, with deceptive simplicity...."  The notion of calm that is evoked in the description sounds perfect on those hot afternoons.!


No comments:

Post a Comment