Thursday, June 9, 2016

Week 9  Wrap Up!


Week 9  Assignment 1/2


I read both the Tribune and Times articles about book videos and found them to be quite dated.  I logged on to YouTube and typed in Book Videos and the choices that were featured were worth a look.  I choose the video for "Wonder" the novel by R.J. Palacio. There was no narration except for background guitar music and simply written paragraphs that hinted at the story. All under 3 minutes.  It kept my attention and was interesting enough  for me to want to read this book..  There was also a video titled"5 Books That Will Blow Your Mind," and that title was enough for me to take a second look.  The narrator was a young teen girl who very enthusiastically recommended her 5 choices.  I have young teenage daughters at home who I thought would definitely watch a video like this and read at least one of these five recommends.
Much has changed in producing videos since these articles were published, respectively 2012, 2010.. The possibilities for creating visually interesting, short and powerful videos is much easier and cheaper and the number of young teens using social media to connect to friends and beyond, is changing as we speak!
I think book videos will only expand as more and more of us look to our phones and computers for information.




Week 9  Assignment 3


BeMoreBookish has introduced me to several new areas that will be really helpful as I move forward in my position as a librarian.  First, I set up my first blog(!) which is a great way to connect with fellow booklovers. I've enjoyed discovering the EarlyWord, Mystery Readers International and the TeenReads sights and will look at them weekly to stay updated on recent releases. The GoodReads sight will also be a spot that I use for our customers ....and for me!  After perusing their sight, I don't think I will ever be without something good to read.
Each week this online course offered something new and interesting.  From judging book covers, to how to best assist a patron looking for the next read, exploring teen fiction or transitioning to nonfiction, there was much to learn and use in my daily work. I look forward to the next training.





No comments:

Post a Comment